Thank you for your interest in renewing your membership with CAS. We were pleased to have you with us for 2020, and we look forward to having you with us once again in 2021. On behalf of the staff and our members, thank you for your continued support – we could not do what we do without you.
You can renew now here (login required); or to join our community as a new member, click here.
President's Message - 2021
Thank you for your support of the Canadian Anesthesiologists’ Society (CAS) during 2020—we know how difficult and unusual this year has been for you and your families, and we hope you have remained safe and healthy. We are so proud of the accomplishments you have achieved throughout Covid-19, and sincerely thank you for your service on behalf of all Canadians. Your ongoing membership throughout this time is tangible evidence of your professional citizenship and your commitment to a strong and effective society, in the interests of safe and excellent patient care.
Despite the ongoing challenges, 2020 has also been another successful year at CAS. When the pandemic hit, we were able to pivot our priorities and provide impressive online Town Hall webinars on various topics related to the management of this new virus, as well as created many practice resources and materials. As you can imagine, we were disappointed to be forced to rework the Annual Meeting from a face-to-face format, to a virtual platform, but we proudly presented a solid slate of impressive speakers and sessions. Additionally, we launched the second phase of the new CAS website, providing new member forums for discussion and networking purposes, as well as our newly enhanced education platform for members to access several online webinars for professional development purposes. We also completed our five-year strategic plan, developed to ensure the society has clear direction, goals and actions to move us towards the achievement of our critical priorities.
We were pleased to approve the creation of the Physician Wellness Committee – a timely, important group dedicated to supporting practices that encourage anesthesia physician wellbeing and health, while also addressing the increasing rates of burnout in our specialty. This new committee enhances the breadth of our 14 other Committees and 14 specialty Sections – all with availability for new member participation.
CAS honours your continued membership for 2021 and I personally look forward to working on my Presidential priorities, on your behalf. These include the development of a national HHR strategy and providing solutions to relevant stakeholders to help address the Canadian anesthesia workforce shortage. We need to guide scope of practice and legislative changes around alternate anesthesia providers in Canada. I will be looking for your feedback and will be developing national position statements; CAS is building and executing an advocacy plan for around this issue on behalf of our members.
We recently put forth the Canadian Anesthesiologists’ Society Joint Statement on Diversity and Inclusion, and thru the newly formed Diversity, Equity, and Inclusivity (DEI) Committee I look forward to actioning advances in all areas of the Society, to better reflect the membership and patients we serve.
Lastly, more than ever, there is an imperative to advance physician wellness. COVID-19 is forcing anesthesiologists to cope with new mental health challenges and emotional distress. Merely showing up to work can involve putting our self in harm’s way, worrying about PPE, supporting patients dying alone and for working parents the challenge to find suitable childcare. We wish to support our members through the work and leadership of the CAS Wellness Committee.
We are pleased to offer you both new and enhanced
CAS benefits, services and programs including:
- The new CAS user-friendly, informative, and interactive website, with access to forums and Section specific content and resources
- New online member-education learning platform and related programming, including courses, webinars and events offered by CAS at a discounted member fee, including Maintenance of Certification credits through Educational Modules (12 credits per module)
- Access to valuable, professional resources such as the Canadian Journal of Anesthesia (CJA), and use of their Mobile App for email Table of Contents alerts
- Annually updated CAS Guidelines to the Practice of Anesthesia
- Significant Annual Meeting registration discounts where you can earn Maintenance of Certification credits
- Opportunity to renew friendships through social events and networking opportunities
- Opportunity to participate in mentorship programs, including resident/anesthesiologist meet and greets
- Ability to participate in, or provide input to, CAS Sections and Committees
- Eligibility for appointment to national or international committees (notably World Federation of Societies of Anaesthesiologists) focused on aspects of anesthesiology or medicine in general. CAS is recognized as the national voice of our profession, and external organizations seek our input and recommendations re: committee representation. This allows members to magnify the impact of their specific interests and expertise.
The 2021 Annual Meeting will again take place in a virtual format, but this year will have significantly enhanced programming, including a selection of educational streams, PBLDs, renowned speakers and high caliber presentations. Mark June 12 & 13, 2021 in your calendar now and don’t miss it.
I encourage you to share any issues or concerns with us, and to provide guidance as to our direction. We recognize that we have much work ahead of us on behalf of our members, and we are counting on your involvement. I encourage you to renew your membership today. CAS is here to be your voice and the voice of the anesthesiology profession in Canada. All ideas, questions and feedback are welcome. Contact me at firstname.lastname@example.org
or the CAS office at email@example.com
Dr Dolores McKeen
PS: When renewing, please consider donating generously to our foundations – the Canadian Anesthesia Research Foundation (CARF) and the CAS International Education Foundation (CASIEF). Both organizations do remarkable and important work on behalf of CAS, and contribute immeasurably to safe anesthetic care of patients, and to the future of our specialty.